Thomastik Spirocore Double Bass Strings are a further technical development of the Kunstler Seil series and have a flexible multi-wire spiral steel core. This core has greater elasticity than that of conventional strings, which means less inertia and a higher propensity to musical vibration. The sound is full and homogenous, balanced and voluminous. Equally effective when playing pizzicato or arco, they are highly responsive, long lasting strings that are legendary for their distinctive tone and playability.
Thomastik Spirocore Double Bass Strings are available in four distinctive sets and several gauge options. PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELECTION IN THE CUSTOMIZATION TAB ABOVE BEFORE ADDING THE ITEM TO YOUR CART.
- Spirocore S42: An orchestra tension set available in Light/Weich, Medium/Mittel, and Heavy/Stark. The “classic” Spirocore set, these strings were developed for larger basses but have been used (and loved) by players with standard or shorter-scaled basses (3/4 or 4/4).
- Spirocore 3885.0: An orchestra tension set available in Light/Weich and Medium/Mittel. These strings have been calibrated to satisfy the express wish of many orchestral artists and jazz players with double basses that have a shorter string length (¾).
- Spirocore S43: A solo set, available in Medium/Mittel. These strings are just like the S42 set, but made for solo tuning.
- Spirocore 3886.0: A solo set, available in Medium/Mittel. These strings are just like the 3885.0 set, but made for solo tuning.
- Spirocore S42 Individual Strings are also available here.
Gary's Thoughts: An alternative to D'Addario Zyex Double Bass Strings, although a slightly darker sound.Thomastik Spirocore S42 Double Bass Strings are the original classic Spirocore, the string for that quintessential Ray Brown sound...Ray Brown not included. They are developed for a bass with a longer string length (7/8), but using the longer string length on a shorter scaled bass gives us that nice easy to play growly string. If you are looking for a tighter/higher tension string (shorter length, 3/4), try the Spirocore 3885.0. These strings “feel” a bit harder to play. Medium gauge is recommended for most players, but if you are unsure which gauge or length is for you, please contact us.
- Classic, legendary dark sound
- Suitable for arco and pizzicato
- Responsive to the bow
- Low tension string with maximum growl
Tension/Thread Color Key:
- S42Light/Weich = Red Bottom,Purple Top
- S42 Medium/Mittel = Red Bottom, Red Top
- S42 Heavy/Stark = Red Bottom, Green Top
- S43 Solo = Red Bottom, Yellow Top
Upton Bass String Instrument Co. specializes in building award-winning custom double basses and offers accessories for the double bass. Upton Bass also services all instruments and bows of the violin family with world class restoration and repair, to view our online restoration portfolio visit stringrepair.com
Upton Bass is ready to offer advice and answer any questions regarding double basses or related bass topics. Please contact UB at email@example.com or call the shop at +1 (860) 535-9399. Hours of operation Tuesday through Saturday 10am – 6pm. The Workshop (The Barn) and showroom are located in Mystic, Connecticut conveniently between Boston and NYC.